Sunday, October 19, 2003

Wow!

Have you seen my sister's blog? I've always known she was intelligent and thoughtful but this is amazing. She's the only other person in our family who reads, I think. And she can remember the quotes, apparently. So she's one up on me. I read and comprehend but remembering and communicating the info to someone else is an entirely different matter....

I spent most of the day drawing. I think I'll scan what I have tomorrow and scan more as I go along so you can see the progress. I always surprise myself. I get so insanely impatient that I actually think about giving up--but not in the way most people would give up, by walking away from it or throwing it in the trash. No. I think about drizzling my salsa over the whole thing, or ripping it up in tiny little bits and then going up to the roof to toss it to the wind--something ritualistic. As I sit, hunched for hours (ok maybe an hour), working really hard on it, struggling with a detail that I just can't get right, a thought rises gradually in the back of my head like a river flood, until it bursts forth, drenching all of my hopes of producing something good to look at: "You suck! Why do you keep on with this impossible notion that you can draw anything?" Then out comes the salsa. But I don't pour because then I'd just have to start over.

Then, after a few hours of working on it, spread over weeks, of course, I look at it and see something I could not possibly have created. It has a pleasant-to-look at style to it. A local artist once commented that my pencil drawings look like oil paintings. Sometimes I think he's right. They have a soft, impressionistic quality to them. But I'll never be an "artist." More like a breathing photocopier. I can't create. I'll never be a Cassatt or Degas (two of my favorites) who, while painting models and still lifes were still able to make it something more than life, something original. But maybe I'll be a Warhol, if I ever learn how to silk screen. At any rate, the salsa will always be there. Heck...if I'm imitating Warhol I can "paint" the salsa.

P.S.
I'll get some more pics for you, Busy Mom. I don't have a camera. I have to use the video camera from work and then still some shots from the tape. So it'll be a day or so.

P.P.S. Please go to the review site and comment on Laser Jock's review. He just posted it a couple of days ago and he keeps bugging me: "Has anyone commented on my review yet? Have I had any hits yet?" Humor me, please?

No comments: