Friday, October 10, 2003

TV Crew Scheduling: The World's Worst Job.

I love my scheduler. He's a great guy and he's scared of me. What more could you want? He always seems so apologetic about scheduling me for edits that I start to feel guilty. Am I that rough on him? I don't think so. Yesterday morning my schedule looked fairly open. Not a lot, a couple of things in the afternoon was all. Then I looked again a while later and my bitch (the other word for a scheduler around here--m.b. for short) had scheduled a "half hour edit...it's for so-and-so." Well, so-and-so is an agency guy that's not too bad to work for. I've done a lot of work for him and he likes how quickly I do it. M.B. thought I'd be mad and was apologetic again. I mean, that's what I'm there for. What's he getting all worked up about? Maybe he's just being nice--because, after all, he is nice to a fault, inspite of being a bald, mean-looking ex-college basketball player. What So-and-so had planned was simple: Two already-produced spots, one that needed a super, and another that need some stills added and a super change. Half hour tops, right? Well...no. It turns out that So-and-so didn't like the way the spots were edited before at one of the network affiliates, even though he was the producer. So I spent nearly three hours re-editing both spots almost from scratch. I told M.B. that this morning so he didn't bill for just half an hour and he immediately started pleading with me to forgive him. Wow. I don't know if I can handle this much power. I think he thought I was complaining. I don't know where he got that. Like I ever complain. Sheesh. I mean Sheesh!
I should be appologizing to him. I would really hate his job. In fact, I turned it down when it was offered to me, and I felt sorry for him when he got it. It's a lot of work, let me tell you.

No comments: