Wednesday, October 08, 2003

My Hero

In our chaotic world, filled with ambiguous role-models who seem as confused about right and wrong as those who might look up to them, an icon shines through the clouds of confusion. I watched Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood when I was a kid and I've through my adulthood I've carried him with me as a hero. Everything he did was about making others feel good about themselves while at the same time helping them to face the harsh realities of life with confidence and courage. I was pleased to find that my boys look up to him too. When he died seven months ago, my oldest came to us sobbing. He mourned him for a few days after that. It was surprising how much impact he'd had on him. I just learned that there is a book of Fred Rogers' writings and wisdom coming out soon. I saw an interview with his wife who seems just as wonderful as he was. She's helping to promote the book. I can't wait to get it.

No comments: