Thursday, October 09, 2003

Drawing

This new commission I'm supposed be doing is the lowlight of my life. Well, probably not that dramatic, but it is hard to get going. It's not just laziness that's slowed my motivation, though that's part of it. The drawing itself is going to be difficult. The photos are small and out of focus so I'm going to have to rely on imagination--not usually successful when drawing a subject that your client is so familar with: These are the kids of the friend I'm doing the work for. Which brings up another thing. He's me friend. Never do this kind of work for your friend. You don't know how much to charge, you put a lot of work into it but don't feel right about asking full price, and on and on. I've had the photos for two months now and I haven't started yet. I've made the decision that this will be the last commission like this. I prefer drawing what I want and trying to sell it to drawing to others' expectations. But I've committed to this, so I'll get to work. But it's the last one. Now, if someone could teach me to market my other stuff.

No comments: