Saturday, March 13, 2004

What should I do?

I'm afraid this post is going to be rather meandering. How's that so different from any other post here? Point taken. But I'm concerned about something and so I figure I'll just hammer it out here until I find a solution. I feel like I'm going nowhere. Today I did nothing. Now I know that I work a lot of hours and I don't get many chances to just relax but whenever I do I feel like I'm squandering the time God's given me to make something of my life. Even if that's just doing service for my neighbors or here around the house. When I say I did nothing today, I mean it. The only thing I have to show for today is a playoff spot for the Baltimore Ravens on Madden 2003 for the PC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that means a whole lot in the game of life. There are things I'd like to do but when a day off comes my way, I can't think of what they are. I should say that I did practice the guitar today. I do that every day and I'm seeing a lot of progress which makes me feel pretty good until I realize that the guitar will never be more than a hobby. I don't plan on taking it any further than that. It seems like those are the things that I'm really motivated to pursue: the things that aren't accompanied by the pressure to have to succeed at them. There are things that do have that pressure attached and those are the things that I avoid. They include writing every day, fixing up the house, getting my resume into shape, finishing the drawing that is nearly a year and a half overdue, just to name a few. How do I get motivated? Would getting organized and setting goals do it? If so, how do I do that? I'm not even Sisyphus--I don't even push the stone up the hill.

No comments: