Friday, March 05, 2004

Insert Title Here

Princess Rufflebutt seems to be doing a lot better now. It's so fun to watch her try to negotiate the distance between herself and something she wants. She doesn't quite have crawling pegged yet. She moves one leg forward and the other other do meet that one, like a dog limping. Then she'll sit high up on all fours and rock back and forth, all the while grinning her devastating smile and saying, "Dadadadadad" at the top of her voice.

It's hard to motivate myself to do much right now. I'm exhausted from no sleep. I jinxed my slumber by exulting in one night's great sleep in that post the other day. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut.

A couple of days ago we shot some segments on Tai Chi Chuan for the educational program I'm helping to produce. The instructor we interviewed was so cute. She is 4' 11" with a very slight build and unassuming personality, but I got the feeling she could handle herself if she needed to. She started practicing Tai Chi in 1963 or something like that. It was my first time at running the whole show, producing and directing, but I knew what I wanted and I know a bit about Tai Chi, so I, in spite of my shy nature, did a pretty good job. She was full of great information but she's so soft spoken that we'll have to be pretty creative to spice it up a little for the kids.

Some interesting thing I learned:
Tai Chi is the mother of all the Chinese martial arts. She claims it is the deadliest.

If people think it's not as effective an exercise as, say, aerobics, because it doesn't get your heart rate up, they're mistaken. She says it gets the heart rate going as much as aerobics while relaxing you instead of making you feel drained or winded.

There are at least 108 forms in traditional Tai Chi but that has been shortened considerably because of the West's short attention span.

No comments: