Friday, March 26, 2004

Guilty Pleasure

A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to buy a bike and ride to work. The weather's been wonderful lately and every warm and sunny morning has made me want to do it that much more. So yesterday we went on what turning out to be an annual pilgrimage to the store to buy the things we want and need and have been putting off until our tax refund comes in. The problem is, anytime we buy anything we feel terribly guilty about it. It took us a long time to decide on what we wanted . . . except for the kids. They wanted everything. We got them some new clothes that they picked out themselves. We both cringed at their choices, but they have to wear it, not us, right? I got my bike. When we got home, the prospect of riding to work this morning, losing my gut, being able to sleep at night, just feeling better all around, and not spending as much money on gas drove all the guilt away. I was so excited about it I could hardly sleep. I gathered the stuff together that I thought I'd need: A small hand pump and spare tube, tire pressure gauge, water bottle, tools, and my new helmet. So this morning, I got up at 6:30 ready to seize the day, but the day was slippery and wet. It rained all night and it's still raining and windy. This sucks. I'm too much of a wimp to ride eight miles in this. Here's hoping better weather is here Monday.

No comments: