Monday, March 15, 2004

Making the Grade

Ok, this is going to sound a lot like complaining, so let me preface it by saying that I know I am blessed. I have more than most people on Earth, I realize that. And I owe everything to God.

Still . . . It's hard when you're minding your own business, listening to the local public radio station and you hear that you are well under the poverty line for your state. And I can't even boast myself as a member of an exclusive club. There are over 600,000 of us under the poverty line in the state of Utah. A specific number was quoted, but I'd rather not repeat it. Suffice to say that it means that it's a struggle obtaining the daily necessities of life. I knew we were close to the line--I just didn't realize we were so far below it. It seems relative, though, kind of like Einstein's assertion that the perception of time is different for everyone. We do struggle, but we live such a modest life--and we're so blessed to not have too many curves thrown our way--that we aren't suffering as you'd expect an impoverished family would be. In fact, we find ourselves in better shape than many of our neighbors.

I don't know why I'm wrestling with this so much. I guess I thought a college degree would net me a better lifestyle, a higher wage. The trade off is, as I've stated before, that I work with wonderful people and the job is interesting and fun most of the time.

No comments: