Thursday, August 28, 2003

Summer Party

Yesterday was our annual summer party at work. We went to the new Utah Jazz training facility and played basketball and pool and had a really nice lunch and the prize drawing in which I never win anything. Wait, I take that back. I won a chia head about six years ago and an expired coupon for a night's stay at the Anniversary Inn. Yesterday I won two dvd's. It's too bad I didn't win the dvd player so I could watch them. The guy who did win it has already won one at a previous party, same with the guy who won the television. These things always make me unhappy. That's what I get for coveting, I guess. One year one of the sales people won an mp3 player and he had no idea what it was. He just couldn't get the concept. He couldn't figure out where to put the cd's. I offered to take it off his hands since it was obviously defective but he declined. Over the years I've seen the general sales manager, who makes six figures, win a really nice mountain bike, the programming director win two television sets, and, yesterday, there were two $400 gift certificates for a year at the Excel Fitness spa. I'm not even sure where my chia head is.

Last night was fun though. As an extension to the party, they gave us tickets to the Salt Lake Stingers baseball game. I took the three boys and it was quite an exciting time. Our team played the Edmonton Trappers. The play on both sides of the plate was really fun to watch but the most excitement happened at our seats. Just before the start, one of the players handed my boy a ball. Then, around the 4th inning, all my attention on the game, I stole a glance at my boys and saw a terrifying sight. My three-year-old, who's wearing his first real underwear, had them down and was peeing on the cement below his seat. I looked around to see if anyone else was witnessing this, then, relieved that no one was, I quickly pulled his undies and his shorts up, both soaked with urin, and pulled his shirt down as far as I could. I would have left then but my other two boys and I were enjoying the game and he didn't seem too bothered about having wet pants, so we stayed. After the fifth inning, the Stingers up by two, I started noticing an awful smell. It turned out that one of the boys had tooted, but I didn't want to chance having a big turd on the floor of the stadium, so we left. On the long hike back to the car, my three year old tried to get my attention for a long time. I was tuning him out but my hearing finally clicked on and I heard, "Dad, pull up my pants!" I looked down and saw that he had been walking for a block with his shorts around his ankles. Apparently they didn't fit very well. Obviously, great fun was had by all on our little adventure.

No comments: