Monday, May 10, 2004

Space Trading

I usually don't gel with theater people. It's nothing personal, we're just polar opposites. By definition, they're generally very outgoing and vocal and I'm reticent and shy, reluctant to open up much at all around other people. Confident people don't bother me. It's actually easier because they can fill in the gaps in conversation caused by my natural silence. But it rubs me the wrong way when the outgoing nature of thespians comes not from confidence but an innate desire to make their presence known, to outshine everyone else in the room. This was certainly not the case with the particular thespian I worked with yesterday. Paige Davis from Trading Spaces on TLC was in my editbay shooting a show that will air next month and she was terrific. She made it a point to learn all of our names and she never lost her energy and fun nature even though the room was insanely hot and we worked until about 8 in the evening. At one point, when we were all becoming a little ragged with the long hours, she was still joking and acting pretty silly and she said, "How come none of you have as much fun as I do?" And her good-naturedness was completely genuine. We got pictures and I'll post those tomorrow. I didn't know the rest of the crew either. We spent a lot of time in close quarters and we had to get to know each other. We're all from different parts of the country and that was the topic of conversation most of the time. Needless to say, I really enjoyed myself. If Paige happens to stumble onto this site, break a leg on Broadway in ten weeks! Congrats.

No comments: