Tuesday, January 13, 2004

A Slow, Wrinkled Day.

After being booked for days with various clients, editing their commercials, trying to make conversation with them for hours, or trying to endure the heavy silence that would ensue when I became intent on making their visions materialize, I finally had a more relaxing day. All my appointments were for inside clients--the promotions department, etc. I'm usually left to work on my own, something I very much prefer. There's much less pressure that way, and my natural creativity comes out. If I make mistakes, I can easily repair them if no one's looking over my shoulder. I also feel that I make better creative decisions than the average client who is usually a store owner who's never been in an edit bay before. I've been doing this since 1987 and I've learned a little about advertising in that time.

I even got away from the cave for awhile. The edit bay is a small, dimly-lit hibernation chamber (see pictures). I've actually had a client fall asleep for over an hour while I was editing. So it's nice to get out every so often. Today we pulled one unlucky soul from what she was doing to be a subject of cover video for the big project I'm writing and producing for. We disrupted most of the sales department (a beautiful thought!) as we took over their area and shot video of one of the assistants. I'm sure they never suspected their job descriptions would include "actor" when they signed on for sales. I directed a lot of it. There's a great feeling of power that comes from telling a sales employee what to do. I love it.

After I got home and we had dinner, my five-year-old and I went to the library. We were listening to the local Jazz station on the way home, a beautiful and sophisticated piano number. I said, "I had an uncle who could play piano just like that. He's actually my mother's uncle. He was in a jazz band in California most of his life," to which my boy replied, "Was his skin all wrinkly?" Yeah, he was old, I told him. Then he said, "My Uncles are old, too. They aren't wrinkly though." All of his uncles are much younger than me. I better start examining my skin.

P.S. What's the strangest, funniest, stupidest search phrase someone used to get to your site? I just had one that said, "superstitions bird pooping on a person." Just goes to show, you'll find all kinds of useful information here!

No comments: