Thursday, January 29, 2004

Love and Insects

The other day at the doctor's office, while he was looking through my file, he said, "You've been married almost ten years? What's your secret?" All I could think of to say was that it must be her immense patience with me. Ten years. It's got me to thinking. We've spent a lot of time building something really great, Mrs. Chickenshorts and I. We share so many bonds that could only have been created through this effort. I love her very much. What we have is much more than a silly little crush or infatuation and it's taken a lot of energy and time and slogging through the muck of misunderstanding and selfishness to get it. Which is why I don't understand people who throw away a hard-won relationship for some little infatuation. It's going to take a lot of work to make that into something near what you already have. I love my wife very much. I can't imagine having what I have now with anyone else. It just isn't possible.

I'm working on a project for the local planetarium. As a result, we got to go on a tour of the facility the other day (I sure have a brutal job) and watch two 3D IMAX films: "Bugs" and "Space Station." It was astounding. I've never been to a 3D film before and those insects were creepy! The detail and proximity were really something to behold. At one point a spider drops down on a web inches from your nose. I'm going to take the kids on Saturday and I know they're going to scream. It's going to be so fun watching them get the crap scared out of them--unless I have to clean it up, that is. They're all so interesed in learning about things like that that it's going to be quite an adventure. I'm more excited than they are.

No comments: