Sunday, January 18, 2004

1000 Feet of Ice Cold Hell

This guy had a lot of problems. Not the least of which was being squashed by his ride. I shot the 1st Annual Widowmaker Snowmobile Hill Climb yesterday. There were three of us with cameras from the station. While the sun was out, it was a balmy 32 degrees farenheit (0 celcius), but as the day wore on and the sun went behind the mountain, it dropped to 15 degrees. Still, it was great fun even though I left my gloves at the station. I was so pissed off when I realized that. And I thought I was so prepared. There were a lot of wrecks. A lot of poor guys who had to watch their expensive sleds roll end over end to the bottom of the hill shedding miscellanious equipment like skis, windshields, and engine parts along the way. If I ever get around to it, I'll post some video of the more spectacular wrecks. I had my own little mishap: During a lull in the action, I was trying to cross over the track to the other side when I lost my footing and started to slide down the hill. I put my bare hand down to steady myself and friction-burned it pretty bad. My only other thought was to save the camera. I don't have the $60 grand to replace it, so I sacrificed my body as I slid the 45 feet to the bottom. Speaking of bottoms, mine has some nice little bruises on it. Souvenirs, I guess.

No comments: