Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Weather and Book Reports

It's amazing how quickly the weather changes here. Suddenly it's in the 90's. A week ago we had 50 and 60 degree temps. The heat is the roughest for me at night, when I'm trying to sleep. I bought a little fan that clips to my bookcase next to my bed but all that does is blow the heat around the room. I'd love to get central air and redo all the windows but in our financial state, that's the stuff of fantasy. At work the temperature in my editbay hovers around 58 to 60 degrees. So I get used to the chilly air and then walk into an oven at 6 pm. I got pneumonia that way in Florida, going between air-conditioned buildings and the sauna-like, blazing air of Pensacola. So I hang out in our basement a lot. It's like a cave down there, all of the curtains drawn, and much cooler.

On to other things. A few months ago, the kids and I started something that we really look forward to each night. At bed time we go down to their room and I read a few chapters from a book. They're long books, too, but we've finished quite a number of them. So far I have read all seven of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe books, Tom Sawyer, and a few others. We just finished a fun book called The Thief Lord, a 352 page book in the style of Dickens. The kids had fun learning about Venice and its streets of water. Last night they were busting up at the end and we were all giggling about it. I recommend this great bonding experience.

2 comments:

Dinky Chickenshorts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dinky Chickenshorts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.