Monday, June 14, 2004

Bummed

For our lunch hour, I went with a buddy of mine who also works in televsion to visit a high school assistant principal to pitch him on an idea. We were both pretty excited about it. The idea was to videotape the student body throughout the year and edit a year-end video that we would then sell to the students. We were sure to make a lot of money. The assistant principal sounded excited too. On the phone, he told me it was a great idea. The students already put out a video like that every year but if a couple of professionals could come in and do it, it would probably sell a lot more copies. So we went into his office and had a chat with him. Again he seemed pumped about it and he was very nice. There were a couple of kinks that had to be worked out but we felt we could get past those. He set up another appointment for us to meet with the head of the production department and he gave us a copy of the dvd that they had produced last year. We looked at it when we got back and now we're both depressed. While not airable, it's still not a bad little video. And the coverage is amazing. They had cameras out at every conceivable event. Some of it was cheesy but there's nothing we can offer them without much more work than we want to do that they can't provide for themselves. The kicker is that no one buys the little gem. I may be giving up early, but it seems like we've struck out. I've got to get my future ironed out. My current job just isn't cutting it.

I also learned today that my next door neighbor, a nice kid who's very friendly and always waves to me, was ripped off this weekend. Someone broke his car windows and stole the stereo and speakers. He's in very low spirits. I feel nearly as bad for him as I did for myself a couple of weeks ago when that happened to me. I'd sure like to catch the people who are doing this.

No comments: