Thursday, February 19, 2004

Ozric Who?

A couple of days ago, my friend, Mike, a "musicologist" (near as I can tell, that simply means he owns more than 10,000 albums), introduced me to a great band called Ozric Tentacles. It came up as a result of my recent obsession with Blue Man Group. He said the Tentacles are a lot like them. I gave Jurassic Shift a listen and I can't get it out of my CD player now. Their albums, all instrumental, are an ecclectic soup of etherial moodiness, exotic rythms, and styles ranging from classical, to jazz, to heavy metal. The flute plays a prominent role on the CD, Strangeitude, so many of the songs come off sounding a lot like Jethro Tull, which is by no means a bad thing. Apparently, these guys have been around since 1985 and have a lot of albums under their belts. Where have I been? Has anyone else heard of them?

No comments: