Saturday, September 20, 2003

High Hopes

My three-year-old may need growth hormone therapy. He's been off the bottom of the growth percentage chart almost since he was born. He's only grown half an inch in the last few months. I don't know much about the therapy but I've learned that the cost can be around $20,000 a year and sometimes as high as $30,000. According to HGH-pro.net, this is because there is currently a monopoly. If there were more competition, the price would come down. We'll do it if it's necessary, but I don't want to. I don't know for sure, but I understand that the process is not very fun for the child. I hope something happens and he starts growing on his own. There's a history of shortness both sides of the family. My dad is 5'6" and my mom is 5'4". My father-inlaw is shorter than that, I believe. I was 5'6" until I graduated high school, then I shot up to 5' 11" (my current height) in about a year. There's nothing wrong with being short, but if being "too short" can be avoided, by all means, let's avoid it.

No comments: