Thursday, August 12, 2004

What a Day!

The scheduler and my boss are both on vacation, so who does all the crap filter down to? You guessed it. First thing on the docket was a live production that I direct every so often. It's a three-minute commercial done interview-style and geared toward older people. It features products and services like hearing aids and assisted living, and the guy who hosts and sells the show works for a mortuary as his day job, so you can imagine how exciting the whole thing is. To top it all off, we had five shows, each of which had as the guest someone who is not used to being on tv. Imagine a deer...now think, "headlights." Great fun. That went for four hours. After that I had to field call after call about renting the sound stage and trying guess at what our rates might be. Then I edited a spot for a broadband company from footage that was shot in Georgia. That was actually fun. Tell me if you've seen the spot. I guess it has been running in other markets: A guy is talking about how slow dialup is and he crams a little kitten into one-inch pvc pipe. I don't care who you are...that's funny right there. So I got that one done and then I fixed another spot, and added a new logo to another one. Then I was on the phone again, giving people rates and our stage dimensions...I don't know how he does it. But I do know this: He can never go on vacation again!

No comments: