Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Autograph

You probably won't believe this, but someone's signature on a piece of paper doesn't mean much to me. That's probably why I have a gazillion autographs from various famous people at home. It does, however, mean something more when the autograph is a response to something I created or did for said famous people. And most of the ones I have at home are just that. They're either copies of drawings I gave them or cd's and posters of bands that I worked with on the music show. So there's something of value to me there. I don't understand why people will buy something for hundreds or even thousands of dollars because it's signed by someone else. Ok, maybe they did something that was really cool. But, you know, I don't even understand why that should make us react the way we do. I react that way too and I don't understand that about myself. I just watched Coldplay's concert dvd and it blew me away. I haven't felt this way about a band since 1985 when I was absolutely in love with The Cure and Depeche Mode. I just want to hang out with Coldplay and be their friend and smile a lot. How corny is that? But it's there. For some reason there is a need to tell someone you admire them. It kind of completes the circle, I guess. These drawings I do don't mean very much by themselves. It's something I can do, but it's something anyone can do if they work at it. But they allow me to give something of myself, however insignifcant, to someone I admire. So here is the wonderful actor Tom Cruise's signature on a photocopy of an insignificant drawing I did in my spare time for you all to admire. Neener, and again I say, Neener.
Tom signed my drawing. Neener, Neener.

No comments: