Thursday, July 17, 2003

VidAnon

Hello. My name is Dinky Chickenshorts and I've been an addict for twenty-five years. I am still off the wagon. It gets in the way of everything. It keeps me up all night, keeps me away from my family, except when I've got my kids involved. Yes, that's right, I've even got two of my boys doing it lately. It makes me irritable and I'm not productive or outgoing or friendly. I know I have a problem. My latest "drug" of choice is Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. The problem with this particular game is one session can last for hours. It's not like Unreal Tournament 2003 in which you can set one game for 15 minutes and you know you've played for 15 minutes. In RCT2, as with most real-time strategy games, you keep going and going until 5 minutes turns into three hours and it's suddenly two o'clock in the morning and Mrs. Chickenshorts is sleeping on the couch because you never go to bed so what's the point of sleeping with you in your bed.

I tell myself I'm sick of the game and it makes feel like I've just wasted my time and haven't accomplished anything toward the big plans I have to be rich and famous and my life is going nowhere and I speak in long, drawn out run-ons, but nothing helps. I still come home from work thinking, "you know, I should just put a few more twists into that long wooden rollercoaster and make it go through the hill instead of trying to go around it and I bet the excitement level of that ride will go up at least two points." And then I'm gone. I've destroyed my disks, but then there's Kazaa, that evil gamedealing program that keeps hanging around the alley behind the house waiting for me to start jonesing again. Will it ever end?

No comments: